Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnThe Post Graduate Fellowship in Oncology Nursing is designed to provide advanced practice nurses an opportunity to experience a 12-month fellowship in oncology nursing at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center – recognized as one of the top cancer centers in the nation.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnThe fellowship will include a curriculum of clinical experiences that will ensure exposure to the entire spectrum of oncology care, from prevention to end-of-life.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Post Graduate
Fellowship in Oncology Nursing is accredited with
distinction as a Practice Transition Program by the
American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission
on Accreditation in Practice Transition Programs.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnMD Anderson is among 1% of hospitals nationwide who have earned four consecutive Magnet Recognition Program® designations from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Did You Know
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnWe are not accepting applications for Cohort 2021-22 at this time.
The program application start date has been affected by the institution's response to COVID-19 pandemic. Upon approval, this page will be immediately updated with confirmed dates.
Please visit our website frequently for updates.
The mission of the Post Graduate Fellowship in Oncology Nursing is to prepare and train advanced practice nurses to function as clinical experts in the complex environment of oncology care. APRN fellows are paid, full-time employees of MD Anderson Cancer Center. They receive paid time off and other benefits, including health insurance.
- Minimum of a clinical master's degree in nursing from an accredited nursing program by May, prior to fellowship start date
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse by the Texas Board of Nursing prior to the fellowship start date
- Unencumbered licensure as an APRN in the nurse practitioner role by the Texas Board of Nursing in one of the following Nurse Practitioner titles: Adult, Adult Gerontology, Acute Care, or Family Nurse Practitioner, prior to the fellowship start date
Fellows have the opportunity to spend additional time in two areas reflecting their clinical interests.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnDuring the course of the year, the APRN fellow will attend institutional conferences and grand rounds, as well as professional organization and society meetings.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnSome examples include:
- Houston Chapter Oncology Nursing Society (HCONS) monthly meetings
- APRN Leadership Council at MD Anderson
- National conference for oncology APRNs
Nursing research and evidence-based practice (EBP)
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnFellows will integrate nursing research and evidence-based practice into the fellowship as follows:
- Read current research and guidelines pertaining to the clinical rotation and implement accordingly
- Present and participate in weekly case studies related to the role of the oncology advanced practice nurse
- Author an evidence-based manuscript on a topic relevant to oncology advanced practice nursing and submit for publication
The APRN fellow will be guided through the core program by advanced practice providers who will review the APRN fellow’s progress on a regular basis and serve as preceptors during the APRN fellow’s clinical rotations.
Overview of curriculum
- Program Orientation
- Specialty Curriculum
- Core Curriculum
- Clinical Immersion/Focus
- Endocrine (Thyroid)
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Genitourinary cancers
- Gynecology Oncology
- Thoracic (Lung)
- Multiple Myeloma
- Neuro Oncology
- Cancer Prevention
- Center for Targeted Therapy (Phase One)
- Infectious Disease
- Integrative Medicine
- Interventional Radiology
- Palliative Care
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Stem Cell Transplant
- Critical Care *
*Requires Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification
What is the purpose of the fellowship?
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnThe goal of this fellowship is to provide advanced practice registered nurses an opportunity to enhance their expertise in cancer care and to carry that expertise throughout Texas, the nation, and the world to promote excellence in oncology nursing and positively impact the care of oncology patients and their families. Through completion of the fellowship, the fellow will gain in-depth experience in clinical oncology practice with selected experience in oncology focused teaching, clinical research application and utilization, presentation and publication.
How is the fellowship offered?
The fellowship is offered as a twelve-month clinical based experience along with didactic training, simulation, and skills workshops. In addition, fellows will participate in a curriculum of clinical study that will ensure exposure to the entire spectrum of oncology care, from prevention to end of life.
Where is the fellowship offered?
The fellowship is offered at the The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX.
When is the program offered?
The fellowship is currently offered annually, September through August.
How many fellowship positions are available?
Historically, up to four fellowship positions are available for the 12-month program.
What APRN specialties are eligible to apply for the Fellowship?
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnAdult Gerontology, Acute Care, Adult, and Family nurse practitioners are encouraged to apply for the fellowship. For nurse practitioners specializing in acute care, there is an opportunity for a critical care immersion during the fellowship.
If I specialize in oncology during my graduate program am I eligible to apply for the fellowship?
Texas Board of Nursing looks closely at specialized programs. We recommend submitting your transcripts for our review as early as possible for us to evaluate possible eligibility.
When are applications accepted to the fellowship?
- Applications for the fellowship open in the fall
- Selected applicants may be asked to participate in digital and/or phone interviews
- In-person interviews are required for final applicants
I am currently enrolled in a Graduate Nursing Program. When am I eligible to apply for the Fellowship program?
To be considered for the fellowship program, you must have graduated no later than the preceding May of the September fellowship start date. You must also take and pass your certification exam immediately after graduation to allow adequate time, if you are accepted into the fellowship, for the credentialing and privileging process to be completed before the start date. You cannot start the fellowship program until a Texas RN license and Texas APRN license are obtained.
What should I expect if I am selected for an in-person interview?
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnApplicants should be prepared to assume the travel and lodging costs for the interview. MD Anderson may assist with coordinating hotel arrangements and shuttle transportation if needed. The interview process will encompass one full day. The applicant will meet with MD Anderson nursing directors, advanced practice registered nurses, and administrative staff. A tour of the campus will be provided. The candidates will not be required to give a presentation. Business attire is highly recommended.
What stipend and benefits are offered?
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnThe fellow will be a full-time employee at MD Anderson and will receive a salary suitable for an advanced practice registered nurse. An excellent benefits program is offered, which includes comprehensive medical insurance; dental, vision and life insurance are available at low cost. There is no financial support for relocation and living expenses, but relocation information may be provided.
What support is offered for attending conferences and educational seminars?
There are division travel guidelines and requirements applicable for all staff and educational trainees, including arrangements for registration, airfare and other accommodations. The program will determine the appropriate meetings for fellow attendance.
What other support is available to the fellows during the fellowship?
The MD Anderson Cancer Center's Research Medical Library provides electronic access with excellent search capabilities and collaboration with library staff, as well as reference manager software training. Faculty and staff will help mentor fellows through the program with structured support. Fellows are also matched with an APRN mentor during the program with similar clinical interests.
What living arrangements are available for the fellows?
Houston offers a wide variety of housing opportunities including many apartments and townhouses near the Texas Medical Center. Many apartments offer shuttle service to the Medical Center complex. New fellows are responsible for any costs associated with relocation to the Houston area
What entertainment and cultural opportunities are available in the Houston area?
Houston has numerous entertainment opportunities for the enjoyment of the arts, theater, sports, recreation, dining, and shopping. The city offers major league sports, and special attractions such as the NASA/Johnson Space Center, and the beaches of the Texas Gulf Coast.
- Fellowship Application via Discover
- HR Job Application via Human Resources
- Video Interview via Modern Hire
- Statement of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Nursing License(s)
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Nursing Program Additional Question Form
****Application is currently not open due to MD Anderson's response to COVID-19 pandemic.****
PHASE I : INITIAL APPLICATION
STEP 1 - Complete and submit Fellowship Application via DISCOVER online application system
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnThe following documents will be submitted in the DISCOVER system. Do not send any document via mail.
- Statement of Intent
Applicants should submit a one page, 12-point font, double-spaced statement, describing your career goals and reasons for pursuing the fellowship.Include how participation in the fellowship will enhance your future career plans. Please ensure your name is included on your statement of intent.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Nursing License(s)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) from graduate program(s)
Applicants will submit the names and contact information of the three individuals within the DISCOVER system in a timely manner. The program will be contacting these individuals on behalf of the applicant to complete the recommendation form. Authors of the letters of recommendation must submit the form in DISCOVER system. When selecting these individuals, applicant must keep in mind:
- Recommendations must reflect practice performance and should be from persons qualified to comment on your performance as an advanced practice nurse.
- New graduates must provide at least one recommendation from their graduate program director or clinical faculty member.
- The remaining recommendation(s) must be from advanced practice providers or physicians who are familiar with your knowledge and skills as a nurse practitioner or nurse practitioner student.
Note: Submitting on the last day means the delay in receiving the recommendation form(s) may affect your application.
Xổ số miền bắc thứ 4 hàng tuầnComplete form and submit in Discover online application system. Form is also available in Discover.
STEP 2 - Complete and submit Human Resources (HR) job application
- Internal Candidates - Apply to Human Resources job posting on internal Career Opportunities site.
- External Candidates - Apply to Human Resources job posting on external site at
STEP 3 - Submit Video Interview via Modern Hire
- Detailed instructions will be forwarded to you after your Human Resources job application (Step 2) has been received and reviewed.
- Access to Modern Hire to complete and submit the video interview expires within 72 hours. Plan accordingly.
- FAQ: What happens if an applicant's link expires?
- Answer: Application is incomplete and will not be reviewed for Phase II.
- The applicant is accountable for ensuring all required documents are submitted and completed by the deadline.
- Incomplete application/submission via Discover, Human Resources and/or Modern Hire will not be considered for review.
PHASE II - TELEPHONE INTERVIEW
STEP 4 - Invitation to a Telephone Interview
- Telephone interviews will be conducted with a search committee, composed of program faculty and staff, and current fellows.
PHASE III - VIRTUAL INTERVIEW
STEP 5 - Invitation to a Virtual (Zoom) Interview
- In the virtual interview, all candidates will meet MD Anderson nursing directors. Candidates will also be speaking with current advanced practice registered nurses, human resources and current fellows.